Best way to implement section level navigation

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Apr 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to work out the best way to describe and implement second level navigation.

The main menu will have, lets say the following structure;

* Home

* About

* Services.

Within the about and services pages, there are a number of other pages that should then appear in second level navigation, in the page sidebar. For instance, when I navigate into the about section, a left hand navigation menu is present with links for "Who we are", "Where we are" and "What we do", and when in the services section, links are present for "Service X" and "Service Y".

What's the best way to implement this? For info, I don't want a hierarchical/drop down menu on the main navigation. My original thought was a custom widget with the links configured, but this would mean having a separate layer for each section with the nav widget embedded - this is fine if it's the only approach, but I'm hoping for something more simplistic.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Edited Apr 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM

If I understand you correctly I had a similar issue yesterday. Whilst Im not convinced its the best way, I managed to get it to work which was my aim.

What I did were create a layer for each second level, apply a layer rule that only let that layer show for items below that specific first level url and then dropped a menu widget in each layers first aside and set it to only show menu items for the same level.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: just to mention that my top level navigation is pretty much static and set in stone so I hard coded it (mybad) into layout.cshtml