how to update to newest integration branch [2011-03-26]?

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Mar 30, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I updated the sources but the site is down, everything (even "help commands" from orchard.exe) throws this exception:

[SqlCeException (0x80004005): The column name is not valid. [ Node name (if any) = sitesettin0_,Column name = BaseUrl ]]

I noticed that "BaseUrl" is a new site setting -- but how do I upgrade?

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:21 AM
Edited Mar 30, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Bertrand hasn't posted docs on upgrading yet. I hit a similar problem adding a DisplayName property for all custom fields ( There doesn't seem to be a way to automate executing a breaking migration at an early enough stage.

I got around it for my purposes by adding just the migration, updating, then patching the rest of the code.

For your scenario in the meantime, I'd suggest:

- Install a clean instance of 1.1

- Have a look at the database to check the properties of that column

- Manually add the column to the database you're upgrading

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:05 PM
randompete wrote:

- Install a clean instance of 1.1

- Have a look at the database to check the properties of that column

- Manually add the column to the database you're upgrading

That's already what I was planning to do.

I installed SqlCompact4 (before only 3.5 worked within LinqPad, now LinqPad is able to open the orchard db) and VS2010SP1 -- but there is no Compact4 (only 3.5) available within VS2010 and the 3.5 provider won't open a 4.0 database. Should it work (should I see a 4.0 provider in VS2010?)?

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Hmm.. does anything work in this iteration? No menus/navigation, duplicated content (=summary always visible), ...

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM

- Summary issue has been fixed in the latest couple of days, update your enlistment

- Menu widget isn't always added by default, you can do it in the Widgets menu or it might be the Recipe you chose at installation

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM

The integration branch only has new enlistmens each 3-4 weeks.

"MenuWidget"? I only have one inside Szmyd.Orchard.Modules.Menu -- and I used the Default Recipe. But I think I found the error: The hierarchical menu module -- even when disabled  -- kills the menu by providing its EmptyMainMenuNavigationProvider. But since being disabled it never reinserts the real menu items.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I had errors using the Szmyd menu with 1.1, there's some kind of type conversion problem crept in.

Switch to 1.x branch if you want the summary fix :)

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I wrapped these 2 calls with "new LocalizedString(..)" weeks ago (1st iteration). But the orchard module contains a pure AutoFac module which always gets called (AttachToComponentRegistration) but I think even the lambda which gets called later (registration.Activating += (obj, e) => [..]) could not know whether the surrounding orchard module/feature is enabled at all.

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Hum. "does anything work in this iteration?" Well, that's why it's not released?

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Yeah of course -- but shouldn't there be a subtle distinction between minute-by-minute (=dev/1.1 branch) and monthly (=integration branch) "releases"?

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Errrrrr, there is: 1.x/dev is less stable than integration, which is less stable than default. Am I missing something? It looks like you are expecting release quality from the integration branch, which has never been the intent.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Of course not -- but I would at least expect the auto-created homepage for a fresh tenant to appear normal. Or is the monthly merge (which for sure takes some time time and brain) just a merge of all new bugs? ;-)

BTW: The menu not being shown was clearly my fault: Having installed Piotrs hierarchical menu without having it enabled.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Which branch you choose to work on is your choice. There is no claim for stability of integration, just a claim that it is the result of a merge from dev at the end of the last iteration. If you want to know what bugs remain in this branch, please consult the issue tracker.

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Being yesterdays 1.x branch now the official new release in default branch -- how do I upgrade an existing database now?

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM

We are working on that. For the moment, you can't.