Integrating Existing MVC applications as Areas/Modules

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
Mar 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I  have several applications that are good candidates for an Orchard-ification, however, there are bits of existing functionality that I can't see being easily ported over to using the content items way of approaching data. For instance, I have a site for a cemetery undergoing massive relocations that is primarily brochureware but also contains a listing of grave sites along with their current disinterment status, of which there are thousands. I would like to redesign the site using Orchard, but am having a trouble imagining a way to incorporate the existing database of grave sites without trying to make a content item out of each record in the database. From my understanding, modules are sort of like Areas in an MVC application... but that kind of doesn't lead me anywhere.  What are some common solutions for integrating existing data-centric content and functionality into an Orchard project?

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Actually, modules *are* MVC areas. If you just add a module.txt manifest file and move route registratio to a routes.cs file, you should be fine. There is currently a bug that could get in the way of data access (http://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/17291) and that we will fix for 1.1.

The documentation has a hello world tutorial that is showing an example ofa simple area that is making little use of Orchard.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Edited Mar 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for the quick response... will look into the tutorial and start hacking away... is there a good explanation somehwere to what the the [Themed] attribute actually does? Reminds me of a master page.