Navigation

Topics: General, Writing modules, Writing themes
Mar 23, 2011 at 1:59 PM

What would be the best way to implement multiple menus in a site?

For example

Menu A

• Link A.1
  • Link A.2
  • Link A.3
  • Link A.3.1
  • Link A.3.2

Menu B

• Link B.1
  • Link B1.1
  • Link B.2
  • Link B.3

I found http://www.szmyd.com.pl/blog/using-the-hierarchical-menu-orchard-module this module that lets you do the menu hierarchical  structure but it would require a bunch of css hacks to get the format right and we were trying to build something that was easy for the end user to tweak if they needed to.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I know that the plans for Hierarchical Menu include allowing multiple menus (but he hasn't made a new release yet).

In the mean time I've been thinking it might be possible by using Container/Containable parts to create a couple of menu lists. You can use Container Widget to add your menus to the appropriate layout zones, and override templates so you get menu-friendly markup.

If you use Page as your Containable then you'd have the disadvantage that you can only add any particular page into one menu. However if you create a custom type called "Menu Link" and give it custom fields of URL and caption, you could construct menus in any way you wished. Of course it would require manually adding everything to the menu since the "Show in main menu" tick box wouldn't apply. Maybe you could stick with the Navigation top menu, and use your custom list just for a footer menu which might not change often.

There are probably a load of other ways around this problem!

Developer
Mar 24, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Hi guys,

I'm going to finish the new menu today. One of the features (besides creating custom menus) will be the widget with styled dropdown menu (with some options for changing the menu look, like two predefined styles and an option to change back/foreground colors), so everyone would benefit from having the multi-level menu, not only techies.

Cheers,

Piotr

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Looking forward to it - I take it this version will be compatible with Orchard 1.1? (Had some problems with current version against dev build)

Developer
Mar 24, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Cool:) Yes, I'm working on a current dev branch and target the incoming 1.1 release. Btw - I'll try to maintain some backward compatibility, but I'm not sure if it will be doable though - lots of things have changed.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Have you had a chance to publish the menu yet? If there is another way to get it besides the gallery can you put the link in here?