Orchard Module for Mobile Question

Topics: Writing modules
Mar 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM

My web app (presentation layer) consists of 2 parts (besides of course the CMS part for desktop browsers): an administration part (where users can enter basic info) for desktop browsers and a part  for mobile browsers (iPhone, iPad, Android, ...) for accessing this info; both parts will consume (via the Model of MVC) WCF REST services (service layer accessing domain and infrastructure layers). The first part (desktop) should have the look-and-feel (theme) of the Orchard site. The second part (mobile), using jQuery Mobile, should have a specific look-and-feel (not the theme of the Orchard site) adapted for smartphones (size, ...).

Questions:
1) Would it be a good approach to develop 2 separate Orchard modules: one for the desktop part and one for the mobile part (or should the mobile part be a completely separate project/assembly completely independent of Orchard; but in this case what with using Orchard's authorization/authentication)?
2) Can I create my own look-and-feel for the mobile part; is creating my own View independent of the Orchard's standard theme / view rendering?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2011 at 1:41 AM

You should have two separate themes and a theme selector to switch based on the agent. See http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2011/02/27/dynamically-switching-the-theme-in-orchard.aspx.