Auto-provision and Dual UI/UX on Azure

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, General
Mar 14, 2011 at 3:40 AM
Edited Mar 14, 2011 at 4:36 AM

Hello All,

I am in the planning stages of an Azure multi-tenant single-instance app and have a few questions;

1. was wondering if there is an auto-provision feature in Orchard where once a customer signs up for service the default tenant/database is setup based on the details and domain entered, so that the tenant admin can simply log in to configure/manage their tenancy and everything it comes with.

2. Also, in the same project, what recommendations are there to implement a different UI/UX theme for public-facing side and a different UI/UX for the inernal login website in a tenant account?

3. Since I will be implementing custom UI/UX, one for the public-facing side and a different one for the internal side that requires login, how do I upgrade Orchard to new versions in the Azure and also get these custom UI/UX and other settings applied? Perhaps my question should be; how can I run two themes concurrently in the same site and tenant sites hosted on Azure (one public and the other for internal site)?

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM

1. When creating a tenant, you have the choice to pre-configure the database or let the tenant do it. All this should also be available through the command-line. How would the customer sign-up? Would you be using some kind of control panel? I should probably point out that this would be a custom development as we are not shipping anything like that at the moment.

2. I don't understand. What is "the internal login website in a tenant account"? Do you mean the front-end and the admin UI? If so, the admin UI is not themeable at the moment but the front-end can have a different theme for each tenant.

3. You can have one theme per tenant.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Thanx Betrand for the response. What I mean by the first question, which by all means is a custom development, is that, can one fully automate the provisioning process

With the second question, I meant that the application will be a public-facing website (with its own UI/UX) as well as a internal/intranet portal (with a different UI/UX) that managers will need to login to manage data received from the public-facing website (this is not the admin account). Since the application consists of a public site and a private site, I was wondering how possible it is to have each site have a different UI/UX design (if it is not possible to have more than one theme per tenant)?

I have this concept of being able to apply UI designs per MVC controller, for example if there is a "Public" controller and an "Intranet" controller, isn't it possible to have tenant users sign in and get directed to the Intranet controller while the general public remain on the Public controller? And perhaps one can apply UI designs this way as well?

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Yes, you can fully automate the provisioning of a tenant.

Yes, you can also have multiple themes configured per-tenant by implementing IThemeSelector (see for an example).

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Okay thanks, is there somewhere I can find details on fully automating tenant provisioning (for example, a tenant signs up, receives confirmation email, clicks link in email to confirm account then logs into account (as part of an "Administrators" tenant subgroup/Role) fully provisioned with public-facing site and all intranet portals so tenant can just configure/manage settings for their account.

I will take a look at IThemeSelector to see if it fulfills the requirement.

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Thre is no such document, no. You'll have to dive into the code.

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Ok, thanks. Any word on the Workflow feature?

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:33 PM

It's not planned at the moment.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Ok, thanx for the information. Orchard is by far the best CMS yet, it is really impressive what has been delivered with it and what is to come. The community can only get bigger as we all apprecdiate and contribute to it.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM
bertrandleroy wrote:

2. I don't understand. What is "the internal login website in a tenant account"? Do you mean the front-end and the admin UI? If so, the admin UI is not themeable at the moment but the front-end can have a different theme for each tenant.

If the admin UI is not themable, what are the best options I have to customize it uniformly along with the rest of the non-public-facing site that will still allow me to update Orchard down the line and retain any custom UI/UX?

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:06 PM

You don't have any. When I said it could not be themed at the moment, I meant exactly that.