Integrating with Nerd Dinner-like MVC app

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Feb 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I am looking for some best-practices approaches to building a Nerd Dinner-like sister application to Orchard so it will integrate nicely with Orchard websites, and will also support stand-alone development and deployment.

Let's say I have a fairly complex and robust Conference Management MVC 3 application that I have been building, and I would like to use Orchard to build a robust and dynamic website.

1) I will need the website to integrate with the Conference/Event Management (CEM) app that will serve up forms to post events and to register for complex events, etc.

2) I expect that the Orchard app will provide the "search for event" type services via xml or oData for events, etc (I will keep the Orchard website within the same domain as the CEM system).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Are you sure that Orchard will bring value to that project? If so, how so?

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Not sure at all. But I have recommended that our client build their new website with Orchard and they are psyched - but they need to include our event registration service as a major component - much like Nerd Dinner nicely incorporates DISQUS comment management as part of the website.

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:53 PM

OK, well, if they are going to use other parts of Orchard it looks fine. I believe some folks are already working on a Disqus module so you might want to ask that question on a separate thread or on the mailing-list. To interface your existing system, you have a few options depending on the level of integration you want with Orchard content items. If you are satisfied with it being a part of the site with little integration, you could just include what's needed as a module (which is little more than an MVC area with a manifest and routes declared in routes.cs). If you need more integration, you'll probably have to create a part that proxies your underlying system.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Sounds good, it sounds like a "portable area" may be the ticket here.

Thanks for your input.