Migrating the User object

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Feb 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I'm just getting started trying to map my user object into the model used by Orchard.  I need my data tier to be able to control which feeds any given user follows.

Is this a matter of a one-time migration from my user object to Orchard's?

Essentially i'm trying to employ Orchard's front-end as the user's UI while my data and business tiers retain responsibility for controlling feeds and other admin functions.

Going forward, i'm more than happy to expose my learning curve re: migrations - the couple that i've been able to find so far are a step or so higher than my current level. [so if you wouldn't mind speaking slowly....]

mny thx

--steve...

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:14 PM

bump'n

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM

It seems like we want about the same thing. Just posted a question as a comment on this blog.

/Martin

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do, but you should be able to create your own part that accesses your existing data, and add that to the Orchard user content type.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do,

Against an existing MVC project where my data and business tiers are good but my presentation tier sucks, i want to bolt my back-end to Orchard's presentation tier.

but you should be able to create your own part that accesses your existing data, and add that to the Orchard user content type.

The complete workflow isn't yet clear to me - is the 'added part' a migration step (import) or a mapping/binding operation between 2 entities - an Orchard.User and a MyApp.User?

For example, I want to use Orchard to let a user edit contact info, and I also want my business tier to produce a list of Users that can access a given blog.

I'm digesting pszmyd's Extension Points post and JumpStarter project but it would help to see more examples of migration operations.

thx
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM

It seems like the main confusion here is about what a migration is. A migration is not an import operation, it's a description of the operations to perform for the initial installation of a given module, and then for upgrading that same module from version to version.

If you want to plug your own user database into Orchard, you might want to take a look at the new OpenAuth module.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:39 PM
>
> It seems like the main confusion here is about what a migration is.

That and a handful of other MVC => Orchard mappings. I'll work more
with pszmyd's projects. thx