Storing site in file system

Topics: General
Feb 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Hello!

Would there be any way to store entire site in the file system besides SQL Compact? I want to collaborate with my colleagues and store all site data in Subversion, being able to commit/update and merge changes from different people. I've searched proposed features for this, but found only request for import/export (http://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/17066).

But if Orchard would be able to work with site from files directly (performance doesn't matter, it's only for development), it will simplify collaboration greatly.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2011 at 7:38 PM

You could check-in the SQL CE database but that is not a good approach: the database is too coarse a grain and it will be impossible to sync with more than a couple very disciplined people. I would suggest using the full SQL Server on a central server that everybody's using, a strong backup policy on the database, and source control for the rest of the site.

Working from files only would be a huge feature that I don't think is worth the trouble.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:05 AM

It's been a few months since this thread; just checking back to ensure that the recommended approach for team collaboration is still to use a centralized database, at least in the development environment.  Would it then be a data migration exercise to move the site across environments (e.g., dev->test->prod)?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM

We have export/import now that may provide a more relevant data deployment path, depending on your specific needs.