SqlServer Ce file locking and sharing violations

Topics: Troubleshooting
Feb 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM

I'm getting lots of file locking and sharing violation messages while running Orchard with SqlServer CE data provider. Considering it mostly used at this point by me and me, running into this kind of issues seems disturbing. Anything can be done to tweak it a little? Increase locking timeout perhaps? For example how would I follow this advice and change connection string for SqlServer CE?

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2011 at 12:24 AM

That is weird and shouldn't be happening. It would help if you could give some details about the configuration of the server.

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:23 AM

It is GoDaddy sharing "Delux plan". The only thing not standard is that I'm running orchard.gallery on top of standard install, with taxonomy and other required modules. This runs sync process every minute or so, calling to feed server on the other box. This sync is my primary suspect for all things weird :(

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Ah I see. Yes, their web farm is probably not properly configured for sqlce. What is probably happening is that your requests get load balanced across several servers but they are all accessing the same file system, including the database. The first process/server accessing it wins and subsequent requests from other processes/servers will find the file locked.

you should either convince GoDaddy to configure the farm for server affinity with sites (good luck with that), or you should use the full SQL server.

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Just confirming that changing to SQL server seems to resolve this issue. Which basically means that Sql CE is no go on GoDaddy.

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2011 at 5:03 AM

Do you know that Bertrand has is office just in front of Mads' one ?