Add Functionality to User Module

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Hello I am new to orchard and Iv had a bash at the following but I missing some thing, so I am asking for a fresh pair of eyes 
and how some one else would do the following. 

I am creating a module to add settings to an orchard user.
- What do i need to do in the migrations file to alter the existing UserPartRecord table to include new fields (ie IsLocked)
- How do I inject these setting in to the user add/edit page and make sure these settings are saved to database

examples would be good

Thanks for any help

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 12:04 AM

You shouldn't alter the existing UserPartRecord: this is owned by the module that defines it. Instead, you should add your own part to the user content type.

There is already a user profile module on the gallery: http://orchardproject.net/gallery/Packages/Modules/Details/Profile-1-1

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Thanks for getting back so quick, wish I had stayed on-line. OK so I wont change the existing user and instead create a 1-1 relationship, in database terms.

Like so: (Correct me if im wrong or could do it better)

Migration

SchemaBuilder.CreateTable("MyUserPartRecord",
                  table => table
                      .ContentPartRecord()
                      .Column<bool>("IsHappyUser", c => c.WithDefault(false))
            );

ContentDefinitionManager.AlterTypeDefinition("User",
                cfg => cfg
                    .WithPart("MyUserPart")
            );

Then create a ActiveDirectoryUserPartHandler class to inject the setting in to the user add/edit page

Filters.Add(new ActivatingFilter<MyUserPart>("User"));
            Filters.Add(StorageFilter.For(repository));
            Filters.Add(new TemplateFilterForRecord<MyUserPartRecord>("MyUserSettings", "Parts/MyUser.MyUserSettings"));

Awesome I have now got it working. It was the migration part i was doing incorrectly

Thanks for your help 

Charles