Feed customization

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Maybe I'm not seeing this, but I don't want to embed the built-in feed URL directly in the page.  I use Google Feedburner and want to expose that instead.  I suppose I could write a plugin to do that (replacing it maybe?), but it seems like the Feeds module would be a better place for that through a new setting.  Is there any plan to do something like this or would it be a good contribution?

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2011 at 8:28 PM

That would clearly be a great contribution.

Developer
Feb 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Not sure if this could help ?

http://orchardfeeds.codeplex.com/

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:59 AM

That plugin makes no sense to me.  I downloaded it, and as far as I can tell it lets me adds external feeds and them show them wholesale on my site in widgets.  I thought maybe I could show the last five headlines of another feed along with links, but it simply embeds the entire feed.  No idea what the point is, but it's not what I'm looking for.  Did I just misunderstand that one?

Developer
Feb 11, 2011 at 4:11 AM

Maybe im misunderstanding your problem but you can configure the aggregator to show the latest N (being N customizable) headliens from any number of feeds. By default, it indeed shows all but you can then customize to limit. Also, it allows the feed aggregator to be attached to other content types and not just widgets. In any case, it was just a suggestion as it seemed ur use case could be partially handled by it. Feel free to extend it to your needs :)

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:57 AM

1) So if I want to just show linkable headings from the last five posts of an external feed do I need to actually create a custom data type and then a custom styling for that type?  I just tried again and I saw the setting for number of items, but I'm not sure how to embed the items now as only linked titles.

2) My original question is really about exposing my own site's feed.  By default is embeds the direct link to the feed, but since I use Feedburner for handling my feed, I want that URL to show in my metadata instead.  From what Bertrand says there's no configuration switch to do that yet.

Developer
Feb 11, 2011 at 6:46 AM
Edited Feb 11, 2011 at 6:47 AM

1) That would be an approach. Another one, if you can live with that, would be to just apply a custom stylesheet to hide / show what u want / dont want. Unfortuantely today, the format of each headline is not customizable to that point...

2) In that case, and like Bertrand suggested, it seems like that could be a good contribution.

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:53 AM

I'm going to think about a contribution for Feedburner.  It seems like it would be easy.  Is there a sample module that injects/replaces items in the HTML that I should model this after?

As for the Feeds Agreegator, I've started a new thread to discuss: http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/245898

Coordinator
Feb 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM

You should look at the existing feed infrastructure, that is made to be extended/replaced.

Coordinator
Apr 22, 2011 at 6:16 AM

I just published this: http://orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Vandelay.Feedburner/1.0