GUI for editing files

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:02 AM
Edited Feb 10, 2011 at 3:02 AM

I'm thinking about creating a module adding an admin GUI for editing files in the incoming week(s). This would give the ability to customize the order (and section - header/footer/content and so on) in which content parts get rendered. What do you think about features such module should have? I'd appreciate any feedback:)

Cheers, Piotr

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:08 AM

Good idea. It should be tight to the Theming story, and could edit the one in the current enabled theme. Display all available Shapes, and their current locations (based on current placement information).

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:12 AM

Actually last time we discussed this we thought that it would be best to have database-stored placement that would supercede file-based placement when it exists. There is no reason to modify files where that could get overwritten by the next update, etc.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Piotr, this would be an awesome feature. I'm new to Orchard and having a GUI for creating my theme would have helped a lot.

Features I'd like: Being able to select a shape when viewing the website (similar to Shape Tracing Module), then seeing a listing all the available shapes, allowing reordering, hiding, and showing.

It would be nice if it could work inline like the Shape Tracing Module does. Or maybe it could be on the Shape Tracing module in the tab. 

I'm not sure how to handle the filtering - maybe you have ideas on this already. Maybe drop downs for displayType and contentType, and a textbox for path with a checkbox to filter by path or not defaulting to the current path.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

To be able to specify DisplayGroup for BuildEditor() method from (or database variant of it) would also be nice. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM

gr8 idea :)