View counts?

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:55 AM

Is is possible to keep track of views of pages and  item details (not summary)?  I have Google Analytics setup, but I'd like to be able to show views along with certain items, or at least see it in admin mode as an attribute of the type.  I'm sure it wouldn't be hugely difficult to implement (other than filtering out users refreshing pages), but I want to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM

That would clearly be a useful module but it doesn't exist right now as far as I know.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Well for orchard it can be done on several ways hooking it when a contentitem is fetched from the repository or something.
On another way, check modules that are writen for DotNetNuke... maybe remove all the active server stuff and write your own.

If it would be for Orchard, this is what u want i think
See the "Free Counter"

• Tracking hit counts per page
  • Supporting stealth mode - hit count running invisible to visitor
  • Reports showing all CounterXP instances and status of hit counts in the portal
Feb 3, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Dave, a developer in the team, has done that already. I am sure he can publish the code, or even the module as a whole. The idea is to create a generic content handler and check for the display type.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I want a view count that would actually be an attribute of the item.  I'd like to have "Views" as a possible item to view along with other content data.  This is different from analytics.  It would also be really good to be able to track downloads of items, in order to create a file library sort of feature.  Is that the sort of feature that Dave has created?