Setting up a dev/test environment

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM

What I would like to do is setup a development/test environment for Orchard, not for the core but for new modules.

If I install Orchard via the Web Platform Installer (WPI) I get a nice environment with the bits I need along with WebMatrix. In WebMatrix I can can click on the Visual Studio button (I have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate installed) and everything builds and works fine. I can do a debug build and step through the code etc. So far so good.

Here are my issues:

1) When I install a module from the Gallery, the Module has a project file, but that module project is not made part of the Orchard Solution.

2) I don't have Razor Intellisense.

Needless to say, both of these issues impact on the usefulness of debugging in Visual Studio.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Are these "bugs" (particularly Razor Intellisense) that will be "fixed" in the next release of Orchard.

2) Am I on the right track that I want to add the non-core modules to the Orchard Solution so that I can debug my installation in it's entirety or is there a better way? Also I I do need to add them to the solution, how does one do that?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Even if you are just going to work on modules, I would recommend a full enlistment (see http://orchardproject.net/docs/Setting-up-a-source-enlistment.ashx) even though it is in principle possible to work with just the WPI version. The behavior you're seeing is a consequence of the poorer environment that you set-up. It's kind of the minimal experience but it has the nice advantage of not requiring anything that's not free above Windows. Now if you have a copy of Visual Studio there are almost no good reasons not to use a full enlistment. You'll then get IntelliSense, you'll be able to debug into the code, etc.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Thank you Bertrand,

I setup a full enlistment per the instructions and everything worked perfectly.

I do have a remaining question: When I install a module from the Gallery what is the correct way to add it to the solution?

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2011 at 8:40 PM

You can right-click on the modules folder in VS and add existing project. Your solution file may need to be merged as you update your source code from the repository but it should be fine most of the time.