Orchard's Design Pattern Diagram!

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Hi guys,

I'm a big fan of Asp.Net MVC, and also the Oxite project that It's a few days that I've started to learn the Orchard. After these days, I believe that Orcard has a super flexible engine and it will be the best CMS ever over the ASP.NET very soon!
But the problem is after reading all of the docs over the OrchardProject website I'm still confused about the relation between Controllers, Drivers and Handlers!

So, I'm sure that a Design Pattern Diagram can helps developers to understand the Orchard much faster and easier!

What do you think?

Thanks,
Saeed!

Developer
Feb 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Hi!

I'm currently in the process of writing some articles about advanced Orchard module programming - your suggestion is very good (docs really lack such information) and I'll cover it in my article. There surely should be one place, where the whole design structure is shortly explained.

Cheers, Piotr

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Piotr,

Are you still planning to write about your menu module? Anything you have would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Hey Piotr,

Thats really cool man! When do you think it will be done?!

Developer
Feb 5, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Hi!

I just aired my blog and wrote an introductory article. Check it out:) Also, for the purpose of this article, I created a project on Codeplex - Orchard Jumpstart with a module blueprint, so to make developing content parts much quicker. It containes everything necessary to quickly create your own content parts.

@JonnyBoats The article about creating the menu is ready too! Had couple of days and finally wrote them.

More articles coming soon.

Cheers, Piotr

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Thank you Piotr,

I just read all your blog posts and highly recommend them to all.

Personally I would love you to write more about the menu, including actually implementing a working multi-level menu on your site. For example you could go into detail on how to style the menu to display it vertically on the left as opposed to horizontally on the top.

In fact if you were to write a series of several blog posts showing step by step how to further enhance the menu by adding breadcrumbs, selective rendering based on roles (permissions), split menus with top level menus across the top and appropriate sub-items for the current selection down the left, CSS styling of menu items with fly-outs etc I believe it would be extremely well received and could serve as an excellent series of tutorials.

Providing a greater level of detail on how and what techniques you used to figure things out would be extremely helpful. For example you state:

"why the hell the old default menu provider is still working!?!?!

This question and trying to find a workaround really pissed me off for a couple of days…"

Going into some detail as to what you tried, the dead-ends you may have run into, in other words what did and did not work would help us all. What techniques and tools (Firebug, .Net Reflector or whatever) do you use?

The learning curve for Orchard is extremely steep and you are obviously very knowledgeable. Please keep in mind that many of us who are just starting on the journey to learn Orchard stumble on what to you are "simple" things. Perhaps you too had some mis-steps at first as well. By blogging about them and not just the final solution you will be providing a great service to us all.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Hi Piotr,

Good job, I really appreciate it!

But my request about design pattern diagram is still there, the sequence diagram that you've made is very helpful, but I still think something more general that it contains Orchard's layers, core features and relations would be very useful, actually I expected the Orchard team have or create some!

By the way thank you so much, and you got a new follower on your jobs!

Warm regards,
Saeed!

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2011 at 10:36 PM

What would you like to see in http://orchardproject.net/docs/How-Orchard-works.ashx that you can't currently find?

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:30 AM
bertrandleroy wrote:

What would you like to see in http://orchardproject.net/docs/How-Orchard-works.ashx that you can't currently find?

If I could ask for just one thing it would be a way to quickly see what has been revised and when. So for example if one goed back after 48 hrs they could immediately see what was changed or added during that period.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2011 at 4:29 AM

You mean in the wiki? You can already do that: click on the history button.

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:17 PM
bertrandleroy wrote:

You mean in the wiki? You can already do that: click on the history button.

If I go to http://www.orchardproject.net/docs/ and click the history button I get the history for that page only.

I just discovered that if I click on All Pages and then click on the the Modified On column header I can get a consolidated list of all pages sorted by last modification date, sort of. It sorts within the individual page of the three page listing, not across all pages.

Anyway If I look at all three pages today (6-FEB-2011) I can discover that Orchard Dynamic Compilation page (http://www.orchardproject.net/docs/Orchard-module-loader-and-dynamic-compilation.ashx) was updated yesterday (5-FEB-2011).

Being able to see "What's New" is extremely handy.

I apologize for being off topic here, but I post this in the hope that it may help others to find what they need in the documentation.

Developer
Feb 6, 2011 at 2:06 PM
JonnyBoats wrote:

(...) Going into some detail as to what you tried, the dead-ends you may have run into, in other words what did and did not work would help us all. What techniques and tools (Firebug, .Net Reflector or whatever) do you use?

The learning curve for Orchard is extremely steep and you are obviously very knowledgeable. Please keep in mind that many of us who are just starting on the journey to learn Orchard stumble on what to you are "simple" things. Perhaps you too had some mis-steps at first as well. By blogging about them and not just the final solution you will be providing a great service to us all.

Hi!

Many thanks for such a detailed review:) Of course, I'll take it into account in further articles. In the post about building the menu It was my intention to not to go into greater detail, as the article would grow very long and unreadable... But it looks as I omitted the details in the wrong place:)

I'm going to write about the most common problems and pitfalls in the upcoming article (thanks for giving me the idea!).

Cheers!