Orchard + Silverlight

Developer
Jan 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Hi!

I have never seen any discussion about Silverlight content here (or maybe missed that), but, hoping someone (besides me ofc:) would need that kind of functionality - I just contributed a module to the gallery!

It enables embedding Silverlight media (apps, players and so on) inside content. By default the module provides SilverlightPage and SilverlightWidget content items, but you are free to create your own items - just add SilverlightPart to your content item and that's all. Additionally, you can set some defaults on your content item (eg. default .xap file) so that content creators won't have to bother about that and just provide eg. some init parameters:)

Hope you like it:)

Cheers, Piotr

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Hi Piotr,

It's greate to have silverlight feature onto Orchard. I will try it out later.

Thanks.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Is it possible for the silverlight app to pull content from orchard media file?

Developer
Feb 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Yes it is - you just have to provide the app the correct URL. You can pass it through init parameters - I wrote about it in another thread.

Cheers!

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for the Silverlight module. I was wondering if you have tried to host a Silverlight app with RIA service enabled?

I have been trying to use your project as a jumping off point for a module that references my DomainService without success. My biggest issue is that I am new to MVC and Orchard so I am not sure where to start or if it is even possible.  I am developing with VS2010, SL4, EF4.

Thanks

May 12, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Same here, any thought on (Silverlight+RIA) integration with Orchard would be superb!

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Thanks for the module.

By any chance, have you ever tried to debug a xap that you use in a content thanks to your SilverlightPart? Indeed, in my company we develop a xap that we use for a SilverlightPage (or something similar) but I can't debug it whereas I can do so with a default web project for silverlight in VS2010.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM

What I did to be able to debug a silverlight project while running orchard is to add the silverlight project as a silverlight reference to orchard.sln.
I set the output folder to be: Media/default/whatever_name_you_want_here
I am not using Piotr's silverlight module though, but I can't think why this would not work when using that module. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Thanks santiagoIT.

It was the solution I figured out. My error was to attach the debugger to the WebServer process instead of the Silverlight process. Secondly, my xap was cached by the browser and the then the symbols was not loaded (since they didn't not match with the code) so I found a way to fix that:

<param name="source" value="@strSourceFile?@DateTime.Now.Ticks" />

Now I can finally debug my stuff!

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I can't seem to understand how to use this Silverlight module. I have it installed and enable and I put the xap file in the Silverlight folder and create a Silverlight page associated with this xap file but not sure how to inter the parameter box.

Is there an example of how to create a Silverlight page with this module and see how it actually show or do some Silverlight magic?

Thanks