Anyone with Orchard on GoDaddy shared hosting?

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:37 AM

I'd like to discuss experiences and tips.  I have terribly slow performance and many database ends up with lots of timeouts.  I also haven't been able to get Orchard to send email yet.  I'd love a support group!

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Anyone?  Maybe GoDaddy is the only hoster with this problem, but it makes the site nearly unusable most of the time.  When I make admin changes I've had to refresh my update as many as ten times before since it times out so often.  Once a page is precompiled it is better, but updates/inserts kill it too.  Discussing performance improvements and strategies for shared hosters will be vital in moving things forward.  I'd like to help if I can.

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I've replied an another thread (http://orchard.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=242228) regarding my experiences with a Godaddy account. In summary, perf. is not great for me, but nowhere near as bad as what you are experiencing.  I'm not quite sure what to do about it... Have you tried using sql server instead of sqlce?

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:22 AM

I've not tried SQL CE.  I've only used SQL Server 2008 R2.  In that other thread the other poster mentioned CE.  I'd be glad to give you access to my account if you wanted to take a look.  It's possible I'm just doing something wrong, but it's also possible that this highlights issues that others will see.  Maybe there is something about GoDaddy's environment to be modified, or a Web.config setting that will make it run better.  When I run it at home on my laptop I have some delays on first-time page access.  It's worse than on some web sites I've built, but I know that the DB side of Orchard is pretty intense.  It's not that serious on my laptop, but it's nearly unusable on GoDaddy.  I'd hate to cancel them, but if they just aren't compatible somehow then maybe I need to.  If you've only got a basic installation up for testing then maybe that's why you haven't seen the timeouts yet.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM

That "you get what you pay for" mentality is quite true sometimes. There are significantly better hosts for ASP.NET environments out there, which aren't that much more expensive and well worth the upgrade. Even if you improve your current scenario, I would personally advise to keep your options open.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I believe there is a real issue here, particularly for non-technical types who just want a CMS on a shared hoster. As someone who has built and deployed websites, I know the repercussions of having a site fail and the finger pointing that can go on between the developer and the hoster.  Unfortunately too often hosters like to quickly repsond "Our system is great, nobody else is having a problem, it must be a problem with your website code".

With this in mind I just entered a feature request that Orchard log issues that are hoster related and impact on Orchard's ability to run. It is at:

http://orchard.uservoice.com/forums/50435-general/suggestions/1445959-measure-hoster-performance

The goal is that if Orchard detects a permission issue (like can't write to the App-Data directory) or a performance issue (SQL Server query timing out or taking an excessively long time) then it would log the issue and clearly identify it as a hoster related issue that is degrading Orchard performance.

That way an end user could clearly see where the problem lies.  Further he would be able to "benchmark" a hoster to determine if they provide an accountable level of performance. For example one could run the site for 24 hours and get a report that stated that 2% of the SQL queries failed with timeouts and that the average response time was 2 seconds. For a personal site this might be fine, but for a large ecommerce site a 2 second database response time would be the death knell.

Anyway it would allow one to clearly understand what the problem is and where it lies.

If you like the idea please vote for it.

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Received loud and clear. We'll continue to investigate.

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I spent some time setting up Orchard 1.0.20 on GoDaddy's new 4GH hosting platform which is supposedly better/faster/smarter then the traditional share hosting plan (even though this is still shared hosting under the covers).  You can find more about it at their site.  The site I setup uses SqlCE as a data store.

The first page load (spooling up the app pool) takes between 30-60 seconds.  The first hit to the admin site is again 15-30 seconds.  After that, pages loads are 2-5 seconds, which is acceptable.  However, you will be clicking along and things are going fast, then you will hit a page that just hangs (just clicked on content types for the first time this session).

I have no problem setting up a sub-domain for you guys to mess around in.  I can even give you FTP access.  Let me know how I can help.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Ditto here.  I was thrilled to find a well-designed open-source CMS built on MVC...until I saw how poor the performance was on GoDaddy.  This is a show-stopper for me--I have a number of sites running on GoDaddy and am not willing to change hosting providers due to my choice of CMS.  So it looks like I'll be going back to BlogEngine and old-school web forms for now.

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:47 AM

Can someone share how to setup Orchard on Godaddy shared hosting.

I tried the zip file and later tried the actual source code compiled and deployed to godaddy. It is working fine in my local environment (IIS7 & 4.0) however the same copy of this is not working in Godaddy.

I am getting a page not found error. I followed the steps mentioned in the site so its is IIS7 & .net 4.0 app pool. So setup wise everything looks good.

Can some one tell me any config file changes required after deploying to Godadd?

May 2, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I deployed Orchard to a GoDaddy.com shared account using the 1.1.30 source.  The site has all the problems mentioned above.  It is quite unusable due to the performance and timeouts.  I'm not just talking about poor performance, most page requests actually fail.  If you keep trying, you can eventually get a page to work, usually.  I also found email would not work, and confirmed the same behavior I see described above in other respects.

Note that I also have Wordpress installed in the same shared hosting account on GoDaddy.  It works just fine.  So this isn't solely an issue around poor performance of the GoDaddy shared hosting--something else is really broken.

milanmathew: One of the things you need to do is to be sure to use the GoDaddy FTP File Manager and set the permissions on the App_Data folder to allow the application to write to this folder.  The initial deployment, for me, did not have those permission and you will throw unhandled exceptions until you do that.  But don't waste your time until the problems described in this thread are sorted out--it is not even remotely usable in the current state on GoDaddy.

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Has there been any improvement on Go Daddy? I have a Go Daddy account and would like to use Orchard.

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

We did spent significant amount of time improving startup time for Orchard 1.2. We also specifically measured performance on Godaddy and measured a 3x to 4x improvement (from 90 sec to 20 sec).  These numbers can vary of course depending on the number of modules enabled, what they do, as well as the load on the node your application is running on.

Finally, we included the "Orchard.Warmup" module in the base installation, so that startup time can be further decreased to around 2 second if hitting a page stored in the warmup cache. Note that the warmup cache still has to be configured manually in the admin panel.

See also thread http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/242228

HTH,

Renaud

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:02 AM
Edited Aug 3, 2011 at 5:23 AM

I'm running a site on Godaddy shared hosting with the warmup module and a pinging service enabled. 
Performance isn't great, but sill relatively usable for the price you pay.
You'll really need a pinging service to prevent long delays at start up(when your site hasn't been accessed in a while), because even if the warmup module helps a little, it still doesn't completely fix the slow application start times.

*Edit: Site no longer hosted on Godaddy.

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:29 PM

That's pretty slow. Is GoDaddy really that cheap?

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:54 PM
Edited Aug 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Yes, it is.  Less than 8$ a month gets you .Net4/sql server, unlimited domains, etc. but you get what you pay for. A simple email takes 5 to 30 minutes to be sent. :)

*Edit: Site no longer hosted on Godaddy.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2012 at 7:00 AM

oh boy! Any improvements or updates on this?

I just (20 mins ago) uploaded a orchard 1.3 site on my recently purchased godaddy hosting a/c and my site isn't loading up at all, I've waited upto 10-15 mins or so. I went for their absolutely dirt cheap plan on a discount.

I don't know if it'll get better but I'm on the lookout for some cheap hosting service for multiple domains. I have been on netcetera but its way too expensive for me, Arvixe looks promising but has anyone tried it? I don't want to experiment and loose money anymore.

Or any luck on DiscountASP? What about GearHost? Their cloud plan has unlimited domains for 9.99$ a month but does it run orchard ok?

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I'm afraid GoDaddy is hopeless. I'm currently experimenting with Arvixe (business ASP.NET account). So far so good. I've hosted on Gearhost but it's been quite bad recently, with lots of downtime. They promise it will improve tomorrow.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Thanks betrand! Especially for replying to this on a Sunday :)

I've been moving around different hosts and I will record whatever I find out (Netcetera has been quite excellent so far but expensive => 10 Pounds a month)

Would appreciate it so much if you could keep this thread posted with your GearHost experience, I noticed quite a few people say good things on the discussions here.

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Gearhost has been awesome when it has been working, with a very responsive site (my home page rendered under 100ms consistently), but there has been a lot of downtime lately. A lot. They've been telling me they've faced unusual problems, but that won't do in my case. I need high availability and I can't afford to take that risk, so I'm in the process of moving to Arvixe. Others may be more lucky.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM

So you're saying GearHost will do for something like websites with a MAX 30-40 visits a day?

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Hello,

My name is TJ Havens. Im a Microsoft Partner. I provide managed hosting for asp.net. applications. Managed hosting is where yes we offer a control panel but perform most changes on behalf of our client. Are clients tend to be business owners and don't want to deal with godaddy/register,etc. They want an representative that knows what they need and can make it happen.

We also offer VM's for those clients that have multiple sites or highly volume traffic applications.

I don't really offer it yet for the public although I have a site here: http://www.1worldhost.com

I run everything on Windows Server Datacenter w/Hyper-V and specialize in Microsoft Hosting. I have about 240 clients, most are custom built asp.net apps, e-commerce or cms.

An outfit like godaddy, they pack the clients in on a shared hosting environment. We do the opposite, balance our clients spaces for performance. We cost a more than Godaddy, but to be honest, we don't want to compete with them. We want quality...

You can email me at anytime if you'd like to try us out.

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I'm just giving my experience with them. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm trying not to infer anything beyond that that would be unfair to them. If others who are using them can weigh in, with both good and bad experiences, that would be great.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM

And to be fair, I too have used Godaddy and have not had the issues described here. We went with managing our own hosting solely for the ease of control and flexibility in managing our clients space. In addition, it has turned into a steady source of revenue plus the added benefit of being able to see just what happens to dns, web servers, db servers etc with real loads...

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I host on Arvixe, and I couldn't be happier with the performance. I am using their PersonalClass Pro tier, where I would expect density to be much higher than what you'd be looking at Bertrand, and, for shared hosting, it screams. They have treated me very well, and they came to me highly recommended (and it's CRAZY cheap). Check my personal site http://thereverand.com, very good load time (I need of some updated content sure, but not slow).

P.S they are also the sort that if you needed Orchard command line tasks run on a schedule they'd probably do it. I have asked for some odd things and they have been EXTREMELY accommodating. 

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2012 at 7:06 AM

I wanted to post a follow-up: Gearhost has moved us back on their previous infrastructure last week and since then we haven't had a problem. The site is now fast, responsive and doesn't fall like it was before. So it looks like the problems we've had really were temporary. They've been lasting way too long to our taste, but all is now good.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Hey guys,

So I went and tried GearHost but had a problem with their billing. I made an order twice by mistake and then couldn't cancel it, had to email them just to cancel the order. I maybe will return to GearHost because I'm interested in their whole _cloud_ thing, could anyone give me details about their panel, do they support web deploy?

I tried arvixe and they're pretty damn good, they also have the same control panel that netcetera had (which works quite well) and supports web deploy.  Was up and running with an orchard site in not time and the performance is excellent :)

A colleague today though told me about www.winhost.com, don't have the money now to give them a try but if any of you guys are looking out to experiment, if you give it a try post your details here. 

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Gearhost does support WebDeploy.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Let me give an update on Godaddy. Its still not working! They are pushing wordpress in a big way and want people to sign up for a premium template for 45 dollars. The best site that offers good value for your money is discount asp. I just signed up with azure but that is over kill for a small blog.