Table Prefix Question

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Since I have separate folders for every domain can I use the following Orchard setup/install:

1 SQL Server (Orchard) database and different (code) installs of Orchard (in the diferent directories of my domains) using a table prefix for each install? If yes, how can a specific Orchard install know what tables (correct prefix) to use (connection string has only database server/database name/uid/pwd)?

Thanks.
Guy

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Multiple Orchard instalations can share the same database using table prefixes.

The table profix is not part of the connection string. A seperate input box asks you for this information as part of the setup process.

I'm not sure about the directories. I think it should work if they were virtual directories. Give it a go and see if it works.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Ok thanks, i understand but where can the different Orchard installations determine to use the correct tables based on the table prefix?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Connection string and table prefix are stored in "settings.txt" (in ~/App_Data/Sites/Default). "Default" is the name of the default tenant.

Another feature of Orchard which might help with your scenarion is the "Multi-Tenancy" feature: it allows for a single installation of Orchard to serve and admin content for mulitple domains.