looking for a comparison between DNN and Orchard

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I would love to hear opinions from people who have experience with both DNN and Orchard.

Is one project easier to work with than the other?

Is one more performant?

etc...

TIA

J

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I was an early adopter of DNN and have used for production sites for years, including ecommerce sites.

DNN is stable, mature, enjoys a huge installed base and has professional level support available on a subscription basis.

Orchard is brand new, the 1.0 version having just been released this month. It is open source and there is no paid support option like DNN.

Orchard is built on Microsoft's latest and greatest technology using current best practices, in other words it is state of the art.

DNN on the other hand is built using older technology that some would describe as long in the tooth.  That is not necessary bad, consider that millions of people get paychecks produced by payroll systems written years ago in COBOL.

You need to decide what is important to you and make your choice accordingly.

Developer
Jan 24, 2011 at 7:46 PM

That comparison would make a great blog post.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Thanks for the input JonnyBoats.

Maybe I should have been more detailed in what I was looking for.

I am a long time user of DNN. I've set up several dozen sites with it. With the great community support and widespread use there also come with it a lot of baggage. i.e. inconsistent UI design and templating in modules.

Since it has been taken over and there is now paid support there also seems to be much less community support, understandably everyone wants to get some money out of the deal but it is frustrating when the culture around a project changes.

The comparison that I was looking for was along the lines of how does extending and customizing Orchard compare to DNN? Is there a more consistent "standard" of design for modules? Is one more performant than the other? In other words can I be more productive with one over the other?

TIA

J

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Great question, insufficient response by the community.  Have you gone on to use Orchard?  What comparison can you make?  Does Orchard support muti-tenancy?

barryfz

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:55 PM

There is definitely a more standard and consistent way of extending Orchard.

First, Orchard comes with a set of building blocks, like Handlers, Drivers, ContentParts, NavigationProviders, etc. that you leverage to develop your custom modules. These blocks have known methods, etc. that you override to perform certain tasks.

Second, Orchard also comes with a known set of services to help you with database migration, database access, caching, etc. that you also leverage in your code. These services are well known and hide the actual implementation details so that all modules perform these services in a consistent and proven practices manner.

Third, Orchard comes with a code generation module with various helpers to generate the initial module and other assets that also helps you stick with the suggested coding standards. You can also enhance this module to add your own commands and generate your own assets to give you a consistent coding style.

Once you are up to speed on module development it becomes very easy and very template-like. You'll create your own visual studio templates, code generation enhancements, and code snippets that makes development a breeze. The learning curve can be steep while you learn the building blocks and services, but there is a big payoff as Orchard is extremely extensible and you will be able to grow the website/application with the ever-changing needs of your client.

Of course, the beauty in all this is that the administrative portion of Orchard is getting more and more powerful, thus allowing you to enhance the Orchard Website in common ways that don't require module development at all. You can create custom types, lists, etc. via the admin, export that to a recipe, and then share and re-use the recipe from website to website.

Regards,

Dave

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Yes, Orchard supports multi-tenancy.