Create a custom page

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I have experience in using Umbraco.

The release of Orchard worths taking a look at it. I'd like to compare both products. I read "Creating a custom field type" (

I must admit I was stuned: so much code needed to add a couple of fields? A CMS is supposed to make things simple.

Orchard is still very young. Do you plan to improve the user experience when creating custom fields? I mean a way to create then with the help of the UI.

Please don't see any offense.

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM

You can add new content types using the UI.

Have a look at:

Creating-custom-content-types (The page seems to have broken images at the moment, but the instructions should still be pretty clear.)

Custom content types are pretty powerful. You only need to create new fields if you need to create new types of data like a map coordinate.

Hope that helps,

Richard Garside.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM

It sounds like that is what he wants to do though. Also, there is the part limitation that it cannot be added more than once, which alot of people are also running into.

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:39 AM

There seems to be a lot of confusion here. Creating custom field types is a developer experience that very few people will have to go through. Using the fields requires zero programming and can be done in seconds. Also, Yeorwned, you can add fields more than once. I think you are confusing fields with parts (and if you feel the need to add something more than once, then it should probably be a field, not a part).

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Scenario where I'm thinking one thing and typing another. Corrected my post.