How to manage data for a home page image slider

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Hi!

I'd like to have a jquery image slider in the featured zone for my website. Here is what I'm thinking I've to do:

1. Define an ImageSlider Item content type

2. Add a Description Field

3. Add an Image Field (somehow I need to upload an image for an item or maybe pick an already uploaded one from the Media Library)

4. Add a Content Item Line Field, which should be the navigation target it the user is clicking the image (a content item picker here should be nice!)

5. Add the Common, Containable parts to the item.

So far so good. Now I think I need to create a List to contain these items. It's simple, creating on the admin ui. At this point I can create a list of items (assume that I've every field type in place).

My questions are:

1. How to create a link to another content item as a property of another content item?

2. A List is a routeable type, so it will be accessible with an URL...how can I make a Non-Routable List?

3. If I add the List to the Featured zone and specify a large value as max value for the number of items, that means that I'll receive the whole list as the model and I can do my own list rendering override for that list? (jQuery inclusion and other stuff)...what is the naming convention if I'd like to do this?

Thanks,

Attila

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I've created a very basic Slider Feature (see http://orchard.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=234168), but it doesn't make use of Containable. I don't know if Containable parts are the way to go for this kind of situations where items aren't displayed as a normal list but manipulated via javascript. Maybe the team can give more guidance on this?

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Thanks, I will take a look at that!

Meanwhile I've examined the source for the List content type and if we clone that we can easily take rid of the Routeable behavior :-) and it can be named "Internal List" or something.

In my opinion this is just another list with items and a "special" but very common view type.

If you check out SiteCore which is one of the best commercial CMSs they've something similar in their demo website. Also the other way is to provide for example a Silverlight and a Flash based viewer for this kind of content!

Hopefully the team will provide some guidance on this ;-)

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I think that such a list would be a welcome addition because in this kind of situations we use a list only for displaying items in widgets, not pages. Thereby we don't need the paging functionality. Also it would be nice if we can reuse the upload functionality for uploading the imeages, or to browse the medialibrary which only shows images.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Yup :-) I agree.

I'm planning to provide 2 type of extensions: Content Item Picker, Media Item Picker

In a CMS, all uploaded content should be handled by Media Manager and not the individual modules.

I've the functionality in my head, and once I started to blog again I'll share the details on my homepage www.eyedea.hu ;-)

Now I've to roll out 2 sites with Orchard, after that I will begin the development of the extensions.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Ohh I forget to tell that the Contoso Theme has a very simple conceptual image slider in place :-) I just tried that out.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM

A Content Item Picker and Media Item Picker would be very welcome here! :-). I agree that the Media Manager should handle all uploads. I've used the Jquery Nivo Slider (http://nivo.dev7studios.com/) which is a very complete slider library! In the following weeks I'll roll out one Orchard site by the way.