understanding sql azure database

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Hello everyone,

I deployed the binary version of the windows azure package according to the how-to

http://www.orchardproject.net/docs/Deploying-Orchard-to-Windows-Azure.ashx

I got some problems with the step “configure it against the SQL Azure database“. After some unfortunate trials I activated the check box „Use built in data storage“ .

Now everything seemed to be fine but I I was wondering where are the orchard data put?

Cause I didn’t connect the sql azure database I thought it must be of no use and deleted it. After that my homepage was broken.

For test purposes I did a new staging deployment now without any configured sql azure database,  activated the build in storage and there it is my homepage.

Now I am very puzzled about three points:

Which role played my unconnected sql azure database

Where stores orchard its data if not in a sql azure database

What errors can I make when configuring the data base in the orchard install page.

Any help or hints would be much appreciated

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Hi,

Using the built-in storage means using the SQLCe database, stored in the App_Data of the application. On Azure it should be used for tests puporse only as it would be deleted whenever the azure instance is restarted, and when you use more than one instance.

Using the SQL Azure database is definitely working as we currently have several website running on it or in development. I think you should check those points:
- you have created a new database
- you have created a user account and given correct rights, and you know the password
- you have opened the ports on the firewall in order to allow connections from Azure instances
- you have checked the connection string given Azure itself (generally starts with "tcp:yourazureservername")

Sebastien

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Hi, 

thank you very much for your answer, in the meantime I read a little bit around the azure principles and I think my question about the built in storage is now clear.

And happily I finally managed to get my sql azure server connected. The trick was I had to put an tcp: in front of my sql azure server name.

Now I am wondering, when I make a connection to the sql azure server from my local machine I don't need this tcp: prefix

Any idea?

Thanks again

Matthias