Hosting/Deploying a Web Site On a Platform Other Than MS Azure Questions

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Hello,

I am curious if Orchard is suitable for being used under the following scenario:

Assuming I have Orchard installed on my local machine and a new website created, can I "push" it out to my Web-hosting provider? As an aside, the provider offers only Windows 2008 with MySQL.

The plan is to frequently update the content locally and publish.

Is that workable? If yes, what is involved?

Besides, what alerted me is that I have skimmed through the Orchard Documentation and could see only Deploying Orchard to Windows Azure in it, so the other question is if other options are purposely omitted.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Edited Jan 14, 2011 at 4:59 PM
Is using the MetaWeblog APIa good fit for you? Regular deployment involves just copying files and such, like any other web app.
Jan 14, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Thank you for your reply pvencill,

your answer implies Orchard is no different than any other web page solution that uses MS ASP.NET created say with Visual Studio, right?

Now what about my concern about MySQL?

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM
In terms of deployment, yes I have done it the same as any other. As for MySql, not sure. While the orm is nhibernate, which does support MySql, the fact that the setup feature only supports CE and SQLServer opens the possibility that there is some limitation there, though I don't know what.
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM

You should be able in principle to deploy with the SqlCe option: that database can be deployed through simple file copy (both the data and the engine). Unless your hoster has a weird configuration in place, ASP.NET 4.0 should be the only requirement.