How to read the source code?

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Please help me to understand how to read source code of "Orchard 1.0".
I was download SC, then open it in VS2010 & I see many projects in solution explorer. What is the right way (step by step) to discover this source code. From what file (ore project to start & what to finish?)

Is a good idea to understand SC in debugger? How to know where check first breakpoint (in ASP.NET MVC)?

If you answer to my question you are very help me!

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I think it helps if you have a high level view about it, especially when you customize or debug.

You can have a look at the Orchard Wiki: http://www.orchardproject.net/docs/First-steps-into-Orchard.ashx

Developer
Jan 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM

As freeflying said - at the beginning you'd better stick to the docs to get the overall view of Orchard internals. There are couple of very good articles on the subject.

Most of the projects you see are Orchard modules, which are loaded by framework at runtime (/Modules folder). The same applies to Themes (in /Themes folder). And writing own modules is the way your applications based on Orchard should be built. Try writing your own simple module - there's no better way to learn than to code yourself:)

The 3 base projects (Core, Framework and Web) contain as follows: core modules, the framework itself (the most low-level things), main web application. I think atm it's not the best idea for you to get into details of those.

Cheers, Piotr

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:40 PM

How about some Channel 9 shows on Orchard?

Hint, Hint.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Hi JonnyBoats – I am going to start pushing out tutorial videos on Orchard very soon, starting with simple getting started stuff, and moving to more advanced topics. Stay tuned… these will appear on OrchardProject.net.

Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 10:41 AM
To: Bradley Millington
Subject: Re: How to read the source code? [orchard:241786]

How about some Channel 9 shows on Orchard?

Hint, Hint.