packages folder not created under web site root?

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I've noticed that when I'm running Orchard locally and installing modules a packages folder is created under [siteroot]\..\packages and nupkg files are stored under it. Why isn't the folder created under the root folder of the web site? I mean the same folder where my Orchard web.config is? This seems to be happening on my production site also which is running at DiscountASP but this time the folder is created in such a place that I can't access it using FTP. This seems to be also causing problems when reinstalling modules as it cannot delete the old module nupkg-file.

Can anyone else verify this behavior?

Developer
Jan 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I assume that by [siteroot]\..\packages

You mean that [siteroot] is the top most directory ? (top most of the enlistment)

And that the "packages" directory you mention is created under "Topmost \ Src \ packages".

If so, this is so that nugget is able to update the solution file correctly – so that integration with VS nugget, etc works with the default setup. This directory is only necessary for that. If the solution is not found, the directory is not created and the package is installed directly from the stream.

This makes me believe that when you mention “folder is created in such a place that I can’t access by using FTP” what is really happening is that the file is not being created at all as it is "by design".

"This seems to be also causing problems when reinstalling modules as it cannot delete the old module nupkg-file."

Could you clarify what "problems" are you refering to ?

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Sorry. I've been debugging my "issues" and yes it is working as you described so the issue is not caused by the packages-folder as it not created in my production environment. So the error I got when reinstalling modules that I had previously installed is not caused be the packages-folder. I'll try debugging this more and provide you with more details on what is going wrong.