Themes: Zones - are they obligatory?

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Hi there,

I am having a bash at creating my own theme, I noticed that in TheTimeMachine it has lots of Zones created. For me this is overkill so i wondered if i can reduce it a bit? Are they obligatory?  Are there some that are obligatory?

I presume that in the admin control panel the Zones that are displayed there are picked up from the manifest file of the theme?  or am i wrong?

Thanks in advance

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Well, nothing really is mandatory except for the document/layout structure and the Content zone in the layout. For document, the preference is not to override it at all but if you do, try to preserve what's in there as much as possible (nothing in it except for the doctype affects the look and feel, and all Orchard modules expect that doctype so it would be risky to change it). Any other zones in the layout can be removed if you don't need them. Still, if you have zones that are roughly equivalent to the ones in TheThemeMachine, you should probably try to keep the names consistent, which will facilitate widget migration when changing themes.

Yes, the zones are picked up by the admin from the manifest.

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Ok agreed, thanks for the confirmation