What about SEO?

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:27 PM

First, great work on Orchard!  I'm very excited that this project is moving forward and is making significant progress.

That said, I'm curious about the timing of when SEO will be a priority (metas, keywords, etc.).  Will it be a focus prior to the 1.0 release?

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Not affiliated with the project in any way, and barely knowledgeable on the topic, but I believe you can accomplish this today with custom themes. Providing a Document.cshtml, according to the documentation, allows you to provide all the HTML around the body, which would include metas, keywords, etc. I realize this isn't an ideal solution, but thought it might be helpful to point out the "workaround".

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Yes, and one could also develop a third party module for SEO.

About 1.0, there will be no new features from 0.9: 1.0 is 0.9 with less bugs.

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2011 at 5:59 AM

I took an hour and wrote this :)

http://orchardproject.net/gallery/Packages/Modules/Details/Vandelay-Meta-Tags-1-0

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Works great, but it would be nice if this module also allowed you to override the title tag for the page because sometimes you need a bit more control over the title tag than simply repeating the first H1 tag (plus site name).

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2011 at 5:30 AM

mmh, I'm a little confused: the title of the content item as provided in the routable part should already make its way into the title tag.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:37 AM

It does and it's in the title tag and in the H1 tag.  BUT sometimes that's not what you want.  For example you have a long H1 heading on your page but you need to reduce the title tag in the head section to a shorter title that is optimized for display in Google results (see http://www.sagerock.com/blog/title-tag-meta-description-length/).  WordPress SEO add-ons typically allow this.

My suggestion is that you add a title override option in your SEO module so that you can override the default concatenation (H1 plus site name) and can instead provide the precise 69 character title you want so it appears without truncation in Google.  Most of the time you can leave it blank and accept the default title tag but sometimes you'll need that extra control.

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2011 at 5:52 AM

Ah, I see. That should be easy enough to add. If I don't get to do it in time, you can probably do it yourself: title can  be set through Layout.Title IIRC.

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I would also like to be able to override the Title tag. Didn't quite get the last part of your post, Bertrand: "Layout.Title IIRC". Where can this be found?

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. You just do Layout.Title = "whatever".

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Just trying to figure out in which one of the module's files that line (Layout.Title) should be pIaced, but I guess this is a bit too technical for me. I'll wait for an updated version of the module :) It would be really in some cases to be able to create a custom title text.