Paging in List widgets

Developer
Dec 20, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I wonder why there is a statement in the docs saying:

"Note: pagination is only available on list pages and not on list widgets. This is by design as pagination within a widget would be clumsy."

Why is that? Isn't AJAX paging in widget the better way to handle such scenario? Instead of turning it off by design.

- Piotr

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2010 at 6:11 PM

having more than one pagination one a single screen is bad UI in our opinion. Feel free to implement a paginated list widget if you havea need for it but don't forget to make it degree gracefully when JavaScript is disabled.

Developer
Dec 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM

If you meant implementing paging inside some other paged content (eg. a paged list of widgets with additional paging) - yes I agree, this is bad. But i thought about something else - having different, separate widgets with own (Ajax) paging.

Imagine a sidebar widget listing eg. some news/stock prices/Facebook friends - in those scenarios paging inside a widget is not bad. Or, maybe better - a heavy web-based CRM system dashboard with lots of separate widgets (eg. some message/worker statistics showing 5 top entries, paged) to resemble standalone app. In such a scenario you want each of those widgets to have its own paging (preferably Ajax to prevent reloading of the whole heavy page). I understood that this is not available by design, am I right?

Cheers, Piotr

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Yes, those look like very custom scenarios that seem to be beyond the scope of the simple list feature, so they would have to be the object of a specific developement. Nothing impossible or especially hard though.

Developer
Dec 21, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Thanks! Yeah, it's rather an easy task. I've already did the paging my way, but was wondering if maybe such a functionality would be available out-of-the-box (to save me some time:).

Cheers, Piotr