License question

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Ok this is a difficult one, non-technical, but as a technical i must have some information regarding this.

Personally i like Orchard and even thru i don't really know all the inside details, why several design patterns are used and how they have been implimented, even after reading hours of documentation. The extensionmanager using loaders to compile modules at runetime is something our product has to do as well. But our product doesn't need to be an CMS. It will have different generated modules. I'm thinking about letting our team use T4 templates to generate those modules based on xml and xsd configuration or something defined by the customer using tooling. It'll be hard but it's doable in our situation cause they must look the same with only other content and as part of a workflow. And some content, business rules, common validation rules, mapping, etc.. must be shared along those modules.

Until now i was using the code as an example in how u guys solved problems like putting routing inside a single module, but now comes the real question....

The real question:
I wonder if it's allowed to use part of the code or perhaps the whole Orchard.Framework in our (commercial) project.

Coordinator
Dec 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Yes. :)

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Yes.. any restrictions?
Must the source be available or must Orchard be taken up into documentation?

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM

yes it is allowed. The license states very clearly that you can use the software for commercial applications, including derivative work. You can check with a lawyer if you want but that license was chosen because it is very permissive.

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Simple words.. thank you, the New BSD license seemed more as a template and i couldn't really figure out what it mend. Just needed to hear it here, thanks!