Widget duplication across pages - confused

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I'm trying out a default install of v0.8 via WebMatrix v3 Beta, and trying to learn how to properly use widgets. Here's what I've done:

1. Created a site with the default home page and an "About" page.

2. Within the Widget Manager, I created a new layer, named "Test Layer".
  3. Next, I created a new widget page, also named "Test Page", and specified the option to "Show On Main Menu"
  4. Then, I added an HTML Widget titled "Item 1" to the "Test Layer" layer, placing the item in the Content section.

Here's my problem - the "Item 1" widget now appears on all of my top-level pages (Main & About), in addition to being correctly displayed on the widget page.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I create an HTML widget for use on a single widget page?

Thanks!

David Cuccia

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2010 at 3:45 AM

You need to edit the rule for the layer so that it only applies to the URL of your widget page.

One thing to note though is that we are going to remove widget pages from 1.0 (precisely because they are so difficult to figure out).

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Ah, thanks. Will avoid then. Presume the templating and regions for "TheHomePage" will go away, too, then. Where can I learn about how to create/edit visual templates in vNext? Will the guidance be to use a css framework like Blueprint or 960gs?

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

No, only "widget pages" as a content type is going away. TheHomePage will remain there, and the templates and theming remains the same as well.

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Cool, thanks for the clarification. -David