Themeing Wizard?

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM
Edited Nov 19, 2010 at 12:15 AM

As others have noted, creating a new theme can be intimidating for someone with a non-technical background. It is my opinion that one of the reasons that Wordpress is so popular is that an end user can easly start a blog in minutes and choose from thousands of free themes.

When building websites for DotNetNuke I have been using a program called Artisteer which will create themes (templates) for several platforms including Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, DotNetNuke etc. While I like and use Artisteer, this is not intended as a plug for that program but merely an example of what can be done to allow an end-user to create a theme interactively without any knowlwdge of HTML, CSS etc.

I would _love_ to be able to do the same for Orchard. Even a simple wizard that allowed one to pick background color, header image, font etc would be a great asset.

I realise the core team has more than a full plate to get version 1.0 out the door. I offer this idea in hopes that if others agree we might be able to get an ancilliary progect going to produce as themeing wizard for Orchard. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Hi Jonny,

Although the theming system is quite awesome, I was expecting them to have delivered this when redoing it... Are you talking about building one yourself? If so, let me know and I will give it a test for you.

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Or create a customizable theme ... with Settings

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM
Edited Nov 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

In know someone can start with an existing template and edit it. One could take the CSS file, go find the font specifications and change the font size for example.

That is not what I had in mind. While that is fine,  it is problimatic for a "non programmer" in that if one deletes a comma or a colon by accident, the mistake can be difficult to diagonse and rectify.

What I am thinking of is a Wizard, or perhaps a T4 teplate in Visual Studio ( Think of how easy it is to generate a full Entity Framework from an existing SQL Server database in Visual Studio 2010, generatig a new Orchard template should (idealy) be that easy.

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Understood:'Sebastien was suggesting doing that as a theme with settings, which is a supported scenario.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Good news!

Starting from 4.0, Artisteer supports Export Plug-ins.

Can anybody create a plugin for Orchard and share it with our community? :)

I think many users here are ready to pay some responsible fee for it ($10-$20?).