End of an iteration?

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:36 PM
Edited Nov 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Hi,

I just noticed that rev 4c73080ee0c3 is the merge of dev into default. I assume that means that it is stable enough for us to ditch v0.8 and use it instead :)

Could you give some specifics of what was added (is medium trust working?) and what is to come?

I understand that the next big release will be in January, but it would be nice to have some details of what we can expect until then.

The reason I care is that I am about to start building a few of modules & themes, and I would like to use the most stable & recent version so that when v1.0 comes out, it is as painless as possible to migrate. (I know that with v0.8, we are already really close, but I prefer being even closer if it is possible :) )
And it is always fun to live on the edge :D (the dev branch doesn't qualify because it is often broken)

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2010 at 11:16 PM

No, you should probably wait for 1.0, mostly.

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2010 at 12:56 AM

The main new feature for this iteration is support for "Lists/Containers" via the Admin Panel, which is basically a generalization of the Blog/BlogPost containment relastionship for arbitrary content types. You can create containers and "containable" content types by using the "Orchard.ContentTypes" feature. For example, you can create a "Books" container content type by clicking the "New | List" menu, then you can create a new "containable" Book content type. When creating new "book" content items, you can add them to the "Books" container.

Note that "Lists/Containers" is probably the last big feature we will have "out of the box" for the 1.0 release, as most of the remaining time we have is dedicated to stabilization and performance work.  We might have time to add a few additional features that we will drop in the gallery, but nothing fancy.

We have also done a lot of work for Medium trust, even though not everything is in a working state right now (e.g. the command line doesn't work anymore). We've also started using nuget for the gallery integration, which means the 0.8 gallery is not accessible anymore with the current default branch. There were other changes related to security (cleaning up web.config files mostly), WebPI support and IIS6 compatibility.  The peformance work is in a separate branch, so the merge we did today doesn't contain any of the performance improvements we've made in the last couple of weeks.

That said, if you *really* want to be on the bleeding edge, feel free to give it a try (no guarantee of course), as it would be *very helpful* for us to get feedback/bug reports, since there has been quite a bit of churn (again) since 0.8.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Thanks for the details :)