Templates 0.8

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Ok been playing with 0.8 from a user perspective not a programmer and I'm stuck. Can see how widgets work but don't understand how to create a page template? I want a 3 column page or a 2 column page and I want different content to be in each page. Not asking for much am I? Widgets have the same content on every page. Perhaps it's me not understanding but it was so easy with the very old page templates. What am I doing wrong?

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM

You're not doing anything wrong, it's just that we never found the time to revive that feature. There is some support for multiple layouts at the framework level but surfacing it in the way you're expecting will require building a few things. You'd need a new part that enables you to select the layout and to enter more than one body of text (one for each zone). Then you'd need the driver for that part to switch the layout and inject the bodies of text into the relevant zones.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:26 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Alternatively, if you don't or can't develop a module and part for this, you can create a separate widget layer for each of these pages (using a rule based on the url, like the existing home page rule) and assign different HTML widgets for each of those layers. The effect will be exactly what you are looking for, but how you get there is a lot less user-friendly than what we had before...