When and how to use Widget Pages?

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:45 AM

I came across the the possibility to add Widget Pages (0.8), but how can you add widgets to it? Is it a bug or do I miss something?

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM
Edited Oct 27, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Have you been able to add a widget to a regular page? I ask because we may have a broader usability/discovery issue here.

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM

The Widget Page is a content type "without content" which can be used to create a route in the application, which then can trigger widget rendering. You can also see it as a the standard Page content type, without the body filled. Thus you can place widgets on this page everywhere on the page.

The steps would be to create a Layer in the Widgets admin, with a rule filtering for this page, and put as many widgets as you wish.

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:42 AM
To: Sebastien Ros
Subject: Re: When and how to use Widget Pages? [orchard:232472]

Have you been able to add widget to a regular page? I ask because we may have a broader usability/discovery issue here.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I agree with Jon on the usability problem we have about putting widgets on just one page. A widget part would solve that.

@Seb: apart from the rather trivial ability to put widgets in non-zones, this content type is useless and confusing because it does not encapsulate the full scenario it’s supposed to enable. Having to go to layers is a fail.

I’d like to point out that the decision to take that type out had been made but for some reason has never been acted on.

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:36 AM
To: Bertrand Le Roy

The Widget Page is a content type "without content" which can be used to create a route in the application, which then can trigger widget rendering. You can also see it as a the standard Page content type, without the body filled. Thus you can place widgets on this page everywhere on the page.

The steps would be to create a Layer in the Widgets admin, with a rule filtering for this page, and put as many widgets as you wish.

Have you been able to add widget to a regular page? I ask because we may have a broader usability/discovery issue here.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I agree with Jon on the usability problem we have about putting widgets on just one page. A widget part would solve that.

@Seb: apart from the rather trivial ability to put widgets in non-zones, this content type is useless and confusing because it does not encapsulate the full scenario it’s supposed to enable. Having to go to layers is a fail.

I’d like to point out that the decision to take that type out had been made but for some reason has never been acted on.

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:36 AM
To: Bertrand Le Roy