Oct 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM

1. Please update some text on the page from:

generate create module HelloWorld

codegen module HelloWorld

2. I open the csproj file installed with the site and followed the instructions. When I hit CTRL + F5 in my csproj after following the example, I get a 404 when I add /HelloWorld to my website home url.

The urls i have tried that return a 404 are http://localhost:30320/OrchardLocal/HelloWorld and http://localhost:30320/HelloWorld.

When I run the application in the same way and dont worry about the module everything works as expected. ie http://localhost:30320/OrchardLocal works

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Thanks. We are in the process of revising the existing topics for Orchard 0.8. That one has not been modified yet. Please note that you can request a user account on the wiki and do corrrections yourself if you want to. Thanks for the heads up.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM

1. I just updated the doco myself.

Thanks for the heads up yourself.

2. Maybe I should try copying a simple module instead and starting my dev from there? Which one would be a good one to start with if I need it to be simple and has admin ui stuff in it while I wait for this page to be updated?

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Thanks for the wiki update. Modules you can look at: maybe tags or routing. They are relatively small.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Just ran through the HelloWorld module creation on version 0.9.  Here are some notes that may help with updating the docs.

Documentation Notes

Downloading and building version 0.9 (default branch, rev 3998)

Building HelloWorld module

1. Generating the module structure
  a.  feature enable Orchard.CodeGeneration does not work.  "No command found matching arguments 'feature enable Orchard.CodeGeneration'. Commands available: setup, help commands, help."

If the application is started and set-up, go into dashboard, then features, enable code generation, then the feature and codegen commands will work.

b. After running 'codegen module HelloWorld', the module is not available in VisualStudio.  Need to Add Existing Project to bring HelloWorld module into Solution Explorer.

2.  Modifying the manifest.
  a.  The documentation emphasizes "Note: be careful to use spaces and not tabs to indent this file."  This is good.  May want to 1) emphasize that if you simply hit enter to add the Category line after description (or any other line), VisualStudion will automagically add tab(s) so the new line is positioned with the line above, and 2) update module parsing to support spaces or tabs.

3.  Adding the new files to the project  (when items added within VisualStudio)
  a. The <ItemGroup> <Compile> tags are already in the project file and do not need to be added.
  b. The <ItemGroup> <Content> tag is already in the project file and does not need to be added.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I believe item 1.b) above is solved by including the /IncludeInSolution:true swith on hte codegen command.

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:26 PM
Issue 2.a is also no longer relevant, as we've updated the parsing code to treat spaces and tabs identically.