compile error on just the web site

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:59 AM

I installed using the web platform installer without any trouble.

I then opened vs 2010 web dev express.

I then opened the website using the filesystem option

I compiled and got one error which follows below.

Error    1    The type or namespace name 'BodyDisplayViewModel' does not exist in the namespace 'Orchard.Core.Common.ViewModels' (are you missing an assembly reference?)    c:\Users\bnorman\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\orchard.local\77ed7bbb\6e1425ba\App_Web_l4vgaxtg.3.cs    30   

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM

If you are going to use VS, you need at least the pro version in order to be able to compile the whole application. The good news is that you don't need VS at all to compile modules and themes. See http://orchardproject.net/docs/Orchard-module-loader-and-dynamic-compilation.ashx for more info on that feature.

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I am referring to a website that is installed and created with Web Platform Installer.

When I open the Orchard.Web.csproj using File -> Open Project it compiles fine.

When I open the orchard.local website using File -> Open Website either as a website or as a filesystem it produces the error above.

Can you open a website using File -> Open Website and compile without the error with vs2010 pro.

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM

You want to compile the whole solution when using VS.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM

There is no solution file for an install of the site from the web platform installer.

If I clone a copy of the the full source code repository I do get a solution file but I am trying not to get into a full install build, i just want the binary version of the supporting files and assemblies and work within that for a little while.

Did you do an install using the Web Platform Installer and open the installed website with vs2010 pro using File -> Open Website to see the error?

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:09 PM

You don't have to build in that situation. If you absolutely want to build the full application, just grab the full source code release from CodePlex. Otherwise, you are in the "notepad" scenario and you can still do module development (using dynamic compilation, which just happens without your having to do any explicit compilation).