RSS?

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM

0.8 doesn't seem to have an RSS link anymore.

This used to be in the header in 0.5:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Richard&#39;s blog" href="/rss?containerid=5" />

Is there a reason this has been removed, or was it just an oversight when implementing the new theme engine.

It would also be good if you didn't need to specify the containerid when viewing the RSS.

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Yes, it's a regression. We'll look if we can provide a workaround or a fix. Thanks for the heads up.

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Yeah, sorry, that was an oversight. The fix is easier to implement than to explain, but I’ll give it a shot. I also just checked the same fix into the dev branch just a moment ago.

So, to get the links for a blog’s RSS feeds to appear in the blog’s permalink page open up the Placement.info file in the Orchard.Blogs module - src\Orchard.Web\Modules\Orchard.Blogs\Placement.info – and update the “Placement/Match [ContentType=Blog]/Match [DisplayType=Detail]/Place” node to include an additional attribute, Parts_Blogs_BlogPost_List="Content". That’s basically saying to include the BlogPost list template on the Blog detail page and at the moment that BlogPost list template only brings along with it the RSS link registration.

Hopefully that makes some sense. The Placement.info files are a piece of the new UI composition story which gives hints as to what should be part of the display and where it should be displayed.

Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 9:40 AM
To: Nathan Heskew
Subject: Re: RSS? [orchard:232188]

Yes, it's a regression. We'll look if we can provide a workaround or a fix. Thanks for the heads up.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I get the following error when I try that fix:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Infrastructure, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Here's what I changed it to:

<Match ContentType="Blog">
        <Match DisplayType="Detail">
            <!-- blog posts currently added to the blog within the controller into Content:5 <Place Parts_Blogs_BlogPost_List="Content:5" />-->
            <!-- Parts_Blogs_RemotePublishing is made available with the "Remote Blog Publishing" feature -->
            <Place Parts_Blogs_Blog_Pager="Content:after"
                   Parts_Blogs_Blog_Description="Content:before"
                   Parts_Blogs_RemotePublishing="Content"
                   Parts_Blogs_BlogPost_List="Content"/>
        </Match>

Could be because I'm using the smaller not full source version.
Coordinator
Oct 29, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Do you have MVC 3 installed?

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:37 PM

No. I've not installed anything to do with MVC 3. The Orchard 0.8 project seems to have all the references it needs without it.

I've found my own slightly cheating workaround for now. I've just added the RSS link into Document.cshtml in Core\Shapes\Views and I have a working 0.8 version that I'm happy with live. So now I can concentrate on writing my first module with a widget.