What is the widget story?

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I really need a left hand nav that can talk to the backend. It seems like the zones right now only accept html. I really need to do an ascx/equivelant because the nav needs to be aware of where it is in the sitemap / permissions etc.

Widgets seem to be what I need, when looking through the documentation.

What is the timeline / path forward for these?

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Yes, widgets are what you need. The next release is scheduled for next Monday and it will have widgets.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM

What is the best example to use to create my own widget?

The docs on the orchardproject site are Dec 2009.

I am running .8 dev branch locally. Of course this is how it always goes, but my boss has given me until Tuesday to get the right nav working in our project or we have to shift to a different cms as the timeframe given needs us to ship a marketing website before year end.

I am really pushing to use orchard, the only two items we lack are the right hand nav (widget reading a site map) and integration with the standard asp.net membership (can't get that one figured out even after looking at the active directory example)

Thanks,

Jamey

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM

We are working on the documentation right now but I'm not sure it'll be ready soon enough to unblick you. In the meantime, you can look for examples of widget creation by searching for WidgetPart in the source code. Widgets are just content types with the WidgetPart content part and the widget stereotype. As they are just content types, you can build a new one from any existing or custom parts you want. In your case, you'd probably build a sitemap part and attach that to your own widget content type. It will then appear in the widget management screen.

Does this help?