organize contents with category or tree

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Hello there,
A part from tag, I don't really see how you can organize your content in orchard.  
In wordpress, for exemple you have a category system wich is quite effective.
In my case for example, I create a content type product. I have 4 big families of product. How I can create index page with all the products of the family ?

Another question, Can I have more than 1 level of information ? For exemple, I have 1 or more formulas for each product. How can I do to add content type formula to my personal content type product ? 

Thanks for your work and support.

Cedric 

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Hi Cedric,

I have created a community module which covers the "categories" functionalitites in WordPress. It's the Taxonomies Module, available on CodePlex here: http://orchardtaxonomies.codeplex.com. It is based on the development branch, i.e. not the 0.5 release.

About your need to link the Formula to Product, it would need a specific FieldType which could then be added to the Product. We have not developed it, and I think we won't for the next release. If you intend to work on it, it would be nice to have one which could behave like a one-to-many or a many-to-many collection. In Drupal there is a Node Reference field for this. In Orchard it could be called Content Item Reference ...

Sebastien

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:05 PM

It's really a shame that the taxonomies module don't work for the last release. As I have to develop something quickly, I really cannot use orchard for this dev. Have you plan to implement that soon ?

I know Drupal quick well and I understand exactly what you mean. The thing is I am quite new in orchard and I really don't know where to begin. Do you want to implement that in the core or as a module ? Give me some indication from where to begin.

Thanks for your reply

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Sorry it's not working right now, the dev branch is evolving quickly. I will correct it soon.

The Reference Field should be a module. There is no reason it should be in Core.. As an example of creating a Field type, you can use the one in Taxonomies Module, which creates dynamic fields for each Taxonomy type, or the DateTimeField (orcharddatetimefield.codeplex.com) which creates a simple DAteTime input field.

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2010 at 7:35 PM

We have a tutorial for building fields, which will be updated soon for 0.8: http://orchardproject.net/docs/Creating-a-custom-field-type.ashx