Installing a module package fails

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM


I could create a module package successfully and I could also install all but one module successfully on Orchard Instance running on Azure. This module has one dll inside the bin folder. Zip package is around 5 MB in size. After complete upload, the IE shows following message. Chrome also shows the connection error after complete upload. I have tried this package multiple times and it fails, while other packages gets installed.

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Thanks & Regards,


Oct 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Please activate custom errors in order to get a full stack trace. Also, if you could create a bug on the issue tracker with precise repro steps, that would help a lot. Thanks.

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM

How do I update the Azure package to activate the custom errors? I have installed the Orchard 0.5 Azure package.

Thanks & Regards,


Oct 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM

You can either try to repro locally on a non Azure instance, or you could change the web.config, rebuild the package and deploy it there.

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Module was referencing a third party DLL. After setting reference property "Copy Local" to true (DLL gets copied in bin folder), the module package got installed.

Thanks a Lot bertrand, after debugging it on another local desktop, I could reproduce the error and see the complete stack.

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Just a quick note on Azure package installation, it might work to upload a module on a live Azure instance, but it is not reliable as this installation will be done on only one server of the Azure farm, and if you activate another instance, or if this instance is restarted, every file system element which is not part of the original package will be reseted.

In order to add modules to Azure you need to:

- Add the module project to the Orchard.CloudService solution
- Reference it from the Web application inside this solution
- Mark every required dll as Copy Local
- Run the build script for azure
- Test the package is working on the local Dev Fabric
- Deploy the new package